Monday, January 23, 2012

there's nothing like salvation at Waffle House

Do you know how much God wants people? 
No? Yeah, me neither. But it's times like this one when I begin to understand the depth of His desire a little bit more. 

I was with some friends and we went out to eat after a service at Ihop-atlanta. Of course our natural late night choice was the classic breakfast menu found only at Waffle House. 

We had a wonderful time inside, enjoying everything from pecan waffles to great conversation with our waitress. One of my close friends, who was there that night, is incredibly intentional about loving people and sharing the Gospel. No matter where he goes or who he is around, he is always listening to people, caring about them, and talking about Jesus. This night was no different. He began a conversation with our waitress about who she thought that God was. After talking back and forth for a little while, she opened up and shared that most of her anger with God came from abuse in her past. We continued to encourage her, and eventually asked if we could pray for her and ask the Lord to encounter her with the love that He has for her. She agreed, despite her previous harsh responses, and we prayed for her. 

As we were leaving the store, I was thinking about how much I wanted to be like my friend, unafraid of people's opinions, unashamed of speaking the Gospel, and constantly loving. I was headed to my car, praying for the Lord to give me boldness to share the Gospel, when I walked past a group of waffle house workers standing in the parking lot, taking a smoke break. As I passed by them, a particular cook caught my attention. We had said hello to him inside. He was a rather large man, and standing in the dark parking lot, I was more than a little intimidated. He was smoking a cigarette, and when I walked past him I just had a feeling that he didn't really like smoking, but he couldn't quit. So now I'm freaking out, thinking about the prayer that I just prayed for more boldness to share the Gospel. I'm wondering what this guy's smoking problem has to do with Jesus, and how I could start a conversation or if I should just keep walking. But I couldn't just ignore him. Not when I had asked to be able to love people more. So I decided I somehow had to go for it.

Cue fear, uncertainty, and awkwardness. So turning around with my stomach churning, I walk back to the group of men standing together and deliver my opening line to this cook, 

"Hey do you like smoking?"

He gives me a puzzled face. "No. I hate it."

"What if I told you that I know how you can quit?"

"Yeah. I've tried to quit before but I can't."

"Yeah. I'm sure you've tried. I don't think you can quit on your own. But I know someone who has all the power you need to quit smoking and I know that he wants to give that power to you. His name is Jesus." 

(cheesy, right? I told you it was awkward.)

He looks at me, pauses for a minute, then he turns toward me and walks away from his group of friends. It wasn't until he was standing in front of me that I realized this was a real chance to share the Gospel, and that it could have real life and death consequences for this man.

One of my friends walked over to join us, and we started a forty minute conversation about Jesus. My friend and I shared the Gospel. This man shared about his life. We invited him to pray to receive Jesus into his heart, but he was somewhat uncertain and wasn't sure if he wanted to. 

Right before we were about to leave, my ridiculously bold friend who had been waiting on us walks up, 

"Hey man. Did you get saved yet?"

The man kinda smiled and kinda laughed,  "Nah man."

"Why not? Didn't they tell you about how good salvation is? Don't you want that?" 

"I mean, yeah I guess I want it."

"Okay. Well, all you have to do is invite Jesus into your life. Do you want to pray with me?" 

"Okay."

And then standing in the waffle house parking lot, this man prayed to receive Jesus. 

I love new life. I tell you these stories, not so that you would think I'm cool. I mean, I am AWESOME :) But that's not my point. My point is, Jesus loves people so much that He will use anyone to reach out and change a life. Little ridiculous me, nervous, scared, and seriously awkward, started a conversation with this man that ended in a life-changing decision. That is called the power of the Holy Spirit. And it's freely available to every believer. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this story, Anna. Thank you for putting the details in of how you felt as well. It encourages me to know that Im not the only one who feels awkward or nervous when I take that step to share. We need to keep praying for each other and the hearts of men. Much love to you! :)

    ReplyDelete