Tuesday, January 31, 2012

beautiful little girl

If you live in the world today, you're probably aware that there is a very distorted perception of beauty going around. And if you've spent some time in Christian culture, you've probably heard at least a few messages about inner beauty and self esteem, which were honestly not all that helpful. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I do have a story. 


I was at the House of Prayer teaching for our 6-12 year olds a few months ago. I love teaching kids, because they simply believe. Open hearts, open minds, willing to take Jesus at His word. It's amazing. This particular week, while all the kids were arriving, I was walking around talking to the kids one on one. They love it when an adult talks to them one on one, and they love it even more if an adult listens to them! One a particular little girl, who is about 7 years old, had just gotten a haircut. I stooped down to talk with her and asked her how she liked it. She smiled and flipped her hair around while she answered my question and told me the story of how her mommy wanted her to get it cut. After the story ended, I took a moment to look into her eyes and speak seriously to her. I told her, "You are so beautiful and special." Then I asked, "Do you believe that?" 


She paused, looking around while thinking about my question. After a few minutes she looked back at me. A smile spread across her face while she responded, "Yes, I do.


Amen. 
I'm beautiful. I'm special. 


You are too. 
Do you believe that? 







No comments:

Post a Comment